Charles Tertius Mander

Sir Charles Tertius Mander, Bt.


Sir Charles Tertius Mander, 1st Baronet, JP, DL, was a Midland manufacturer, and a philanthropist and public servant, born in Wolverhampton on 16 July 1852.

He was the eldest son of Charles Benjamin Mander, of a family of early industrialists prominent in the public and civic life of Wolverhampton since 1745. His grandfather, great-grandfather, great-uncle and uncle had all been members of the earlier Board of Township Commissioners.

He was educated at Rugby and at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Whilst at Cambridge he served in the Military Volunteers. He became a lieutenant in the Himley Troop of the Queen's Own Royal Regiment of the Staffordshire Yeomanry, and later was captain of the Wolverhampton Troop and colonel of the Regiment.

He entered Wolverhampton Council in 1886 as a Conservative representing St Peter's Ward. Six years later he was elected mayor and held the post uniquely for four consecutive years, 1892-6. During this time he promoted the development of electricity and the tramway system in Wolverhampton, to which he donated seasonal gifts, including warm underwear for cabmen, tram conductors and drivers.

Some of his other benevolent acts included a dinner for one thousand people at the Agricultural Hall for destitute children and the poor, and entertaining the upper and middle classes in the local drill hall. When his term of office ended he presented the Corporation with a George III silver rosewater dish, and in turn was given a portrait of himself, painted by the Hon. John Collier, seen here (right).

Charles Tertius Mander, aged 44, in uniform of the Staffordshire Yeomanry; portrait by John Collier in 1897

 

As a practicing nonconformist, Mander became secretary of the Church Congress of Wolverhampton in 1887. He was a landowner, enthusiastic sportsman and pioneer motorist, driving White of Ohio steamers and then the first Rolls Royce's, painted with his firm's colours. In the 1870s he played full-back for Wolverhampton Rugby Football Club, of which he later became president. He was also Vice-president of Wolverhampton Wanderers ('Wolves') Football Club and Wolverhampton and District Football League. He was an active member of the Albrighton Hunt: as result of a serious hunting accident he was forced to withdraw from public life for many months. He maintained shoots in Staffordshire and at Llangollen in Wales.

Mary Mander, née Paint, of Nova Scotia, who married CTM in 1883. Portrait by Alfred Jonniaux, 1927.

Mander held a number of prominent positions including High Sheriff of Staffordshire, Vice-president of the Royal Orphanage and Treasurer of the Blue Coat School. He often entertained public personalities at The Mount, and he and his wife were hosts to Lloyd George when he visited the town on the 23rd November 1918 and announced the 'coupon' General Election. It was at this time that Mander was honoured with the Freedom of the Borough.

He was a progressive industrialist and manufacturer as senior partner and then first chairman of Mander Brothers (1923), the family paint and varnish works founded by his great-grandfather Benjamin in 1773. The firm was given the Royal Warrant by George V. He was also active in other Midland companies, including Thomas Parker, a Midland electrical company credited with the invention of the sparking plug, the monoblock engine and the carburettor.

In 1909 he extended his house at The Mount in neo-Renassance style to the designs of Edward Ould (of Liverpool), who also worked for his cousin Theodore at Wightwick Manor, today owned by the National Trust and considered one of the most representative examples of the Victorian country house.

He was created the first baronet of the Mount, Tettenhall Wood, in the Coronation honours of George V for his public services on 8 July 1911.

In 1883 he married in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Mary le Mesurier Paint (left), the daughter of Henry Nicholas Paint, a Canadian of Guernsey extraction, and a Member of the Dominion Parliament, also a shipowner and merchant. They had three children. He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his elder son, Charles Arthur Mander (1884–1951).

Sir Charles Tertius Mander died at The Mount on 8 April 1929, aged 76.

The Funeral of

Sir Charles Tertius Mander Bt

Charles Tertius Mander was given a civic funeral. The service took place at St Peter's, Wolverhampton, on 13th April and arrangements were handled by Jennings Funeral Directors of Horseley Fields, in their usual efficient manner. We must thank Jennings for giving us access to their photographic collection.
mander1

Sir Charles Tertius Mander, Bart.

 

The funeral service at St. Peter's Church.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

mander2
mander3 Floral tributes placed around the Mander family's vault in St. Peter's churchyard.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

Members of the council and civic heads arrive at the church.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

mander5
mander4 Members of the council and civic heads leave the church.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

The funeral procession in Queen Square.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

mander6
mander7 Aldermen and councillors leaving the church.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

Aldermen and councillors leaving the church.

Photo courtesy of Jennings.

mander8
porch The Mander porch in St. Peter's church dates from 1929 and is a memorial to Sir Charles Tertius Mander. It was presented to the church by the Mander family.

Courtesy of Nicholas