Ever-popular with families and groups of friends, the Grist Mill is the largest holiday cottage on the Owlpen estate. Although there would have been a medieval mill on this site for centuries beforehand, the building you see today started life as a watermill in 1728, to serve the manor house and surrounding estate. In the 1980’s it was lovingly restored by the Mander family, and turned into a unique holiday home. Many of the old machinery that used to operate in the mill still survives in situ, so this property is heaven for those interested in exploring old houses, examining traditional machinery, and of course, it’s great for children who have lots of nooks and crannies to hide in on rainy days! The mill is at the heart of the estate, just 100 metres from the manor house itself. It has its own private garden, amazing walks right on the doorstep, and access to the formal gardens of the manor house as well.
It has an open-plan living room and dining room downstairs, with two double bedrooms, and two twins: the house sleeps 8 in total. There are two bathrooms on the upper floors. With its central location close to the Cyder House and open-plan living space, the cottage also provides an excellent hub for family gatherings.
- Self-catering accommodation in the heart of the Cotswolds
- Access to miles of private walking trails
- Wild swimming in spring-fed lake
- Dog friendly with enclosed garden
- Listed historic Georgian watermill of 1726
- Charming original features throughout
- King-sized 18th-century four-poster bed
- Wood-burning stove
- Excellent free wifi throughout
- Party house with plenty of space for entertaining
- Excellent central hub for family reunions
- Beautiful views over millpond, stream and valley
- All towels and bed linen provided free of charge
- Sleeps 8